Emotion and Sleep
I. Directional phenomena.
1. Biological mechanisms responsible for fight or flight reactions
2. Review of the autonomic nervous system: Walter Cannon; the Parasympathetic NS (VEGETATIVE functions); Sympathetic NS (ACTIVATING functions)
3. Physiological indexes of emotional states – Heart Rate; Galvanic Skin Response; Respiration, etc.
4. The lie detector test – when does it work?
1. Sleep and its benefits:
2. What are the functions of sleep? It is needed to:
a. Restore brain cells
b. Restore body cells
c. Maintain body functions during the night
d. Sort out the past and consider and plan the future
3. What determines dream content? A few scientific hypotheses:
a. External stimuli
b. Internal sensory stimuli
c. Random firing of memory
4. Architecture of a typical night’s sleep: 4 stages; REM sleep
5. Sleep disorders
b. Insomnia: transient vs. chronic
6. The detrimental consequences of sleep deprivation